Do you love green tea as much as I do? Then these Marbled Vanilla & Green Tea cookies are a must! They accompany tea in the afternoon so perfectly. They are perfect with an afternoon coffee. And the best thing is that event though they look totally next level professional – they are remarkably easy to make.
It’s a cookie dough that you split in half. One part is flavored with vanilla and the other part is flavored with matcha green tea. Then to two are swirled together!
There are a couple of tricks that will make these Marbled Vanilla & Green Tea Cookies extra special. One is that it’s important to use unsalted butter. And using a high quality butter will make a big difference too. With other cookies, this is less important but with these, butter plays such a significant role.
Also, it’s important to freeze this dough for 30 minutes to an hour before baking! The texture of the dough is so wonderful. It has a shortbread like texture and that’s how that dense, buttery crunch is achieved.
If you want an in depth look at how to create the marble pattern, watch our video of How to Make Marbled Clay Planters here. Although this is with clay and not cookie dough, it’s the same steps and will help you see each motion. Video makes it so easy to understand!
Another fun thing you can do is shape the dough! It’s an easy task when you are chilling dough. I rolled mine into a log and then flattened the sides, to make squares. You could use cookie cutters and make any shape you like and you could keep it simple and make them round.
Just remember that you will have a yummy looking swirled pattern when you mix together your green tea and vanilla doughs – so whatever shape cookie you choose, make sure it compliments with the marbling.
Marbled Vanilla & Green Tea Cookies
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar or a bit more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Matcha Powder
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a Kitchen-Aid mixer, or with a hand mixer, whip together your butter and powdered sugar.
- Add your flour and butter mixtures together until evenly blended. Then split the dough in half.
- Add your matcha green tea to one half of the dough. Add your vanilla bean to the other half.
- Roll them into long snake shapes, then swirl the snakes together.
- Make the dough into one big ball and then stretch into a log shape.
- Place the log shape on wax paper and wrap thoroughly. Flatten the sides to make a square.
- Place the dough in the freezer for up to 1 hour.
- Slice the dough into 1/4 inch slices and bake on a parchment covered cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes. Remove the cookies when golden brown.
- Serve with tea or coffee.
Let’s Stay Friends!