Catch an ocean wave with these super cute Sea Punk Cupcakes! They are the color of a cool blue ocean, covered in sprinkles, and so much fun! They will add a fun pop of color to any dessert table. They are fun enough for a pool party and make a perfect birthday cake.
They are just a twist on a regular cupcake which makes them totally easy to make! You know I love a gorgeous cupcake and this is one of my favorites.
Making these Sea Punk Cupcakes just takes a few steps: baking the cupcake, creating the frosting, coloring and shaping the frosting, and adding the rainbow sprinkles.
So first things first, creating the cupcake. When you make strawberry cupcakes from scratch, your ingredient list is just a bit quirky! Like for example, if you want to get a creamy yet tart cupcake with a whole lot of strawberry flavor, you will need fresh strawberries — and — surprise! sour cream. Sour cream will give you a flavor that’s out of this world. I highly recommend any recipe that contains sour cream but especially in strawberry cupcakes!
What’s so fun is that we added a turquoise blue food dye to the frosting. It makes it the perfect color to go with our strawberry pink cupcake! When we frost these cupcakes, we made them super messy so they would look like waves crashing.
You can find turquoise food dye online or at most cake and craft supply stores. Food dye that you buy at these places are highly concentrated, so you will just need to use a tiny dot.
Your next step is to roll the edges in sprinkles! That’s the fun part. Just put the sprinkles on a plate, and while the frosting is still wet, just gently and slowly roll them around. They certainly don’t need to be perfect. I made some of mine move up the sides and others have less sprinkles all together. I tried to make everyone a little different. It turns the cupcakes into a party!
So where are you going to serve your adorable Sea Punk Cupcakes? A themed party? A girls night? Or just for fun? Tell us in the comments. We would love to hear all about your baking adventures!
Sea Punk Cupcakes Tutorial
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 4 Egg Whites
- 6 tablespoons Butter softened
- 5 tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoons Milk
- 4 tablespoons fresh or frozen Strawberreis pureed
- Honey & Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Milk
- 3 tablespoons Butter softened
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Local Honey
- 3 drops Turquoise Food Coloring
- 1 handful Rainbow Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- For the cupcakes: With a Kitchen-Aid or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, 2 minutes or so.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract, until blended.
- Add the egg whites, one at a time, until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In a third bowl, combine the milk and strawberries.
- Add a small amount of dry mixture to your batter, blending as you add. Then alternate between strawberry mixture and dry mixture until all the ingredients are added.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 - 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes, rotating them about halfway through.
- After 15 minutes test them by inserting a toothpick into the center of one cupcake. Remove the cupcakes when the toothpick comes out clean. Total time 15-20 minutes.
- After a few minutes, remove the cupcakes from the tray and allow to cool for several hours.
Once the cupcakes are cool, prepare the Honey & Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- Blend together the powdered sugar, milk, honey, vanilla bean paste and vanilla extract until whipped.
- Add the turquoise food coloring and blend until you reach the desired shade of turquoise.
- Messily whip the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
- Roll the edges in rainbow sprinkles.
- Serve on a festive occasion!
Let’s Stay Friends!